Spain Visa Types

There are various types of Spanish Visas based on the reason for visiting, nationality, and length of visit. Many nationalities can currently enter without a visa for periods of up to 90 days including the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, and Japan.

Tourist Visa for visit Spain

Citizens who are not from visa-exempt countries need to obtain a visa to enter Spain for tourism. As Spain shares a common visa policy with the rest of the Schengen Area, the Schengen Visa offers access not only to Spain but also to the other 25 countries in the zone.

After the end of 2022, citizens of countries who can currently enter Spain without a visa will need to obtain an ETIAS Visa Waiver which will be similar to the US ESTA.

Schengen Visa

Travelers can apply for a Schengen Visa at any embassy or consulate of any of the Schengen countries. However, it is a requirement to apply at the main destination country. For example, if Spain is where you plan to spend the most time, you need to apply at a Spanish diplomatic office.

The Schengen Visa allows visitors to spend up to 90 days in the Schengen Area. Once in the zone, travelers can freely move between all the Schengen countries without passing through passport controls.

ETIAS Visa Waiver

Nationalities who are currently visa-exempt will need to complete the online application and pay a fee using a credit or debit card.

The visa waivers will be simple to obtain as the application will be completed online and there will be no need to go to an embassy or consulate. ETIAS Visa Waivers will be valid for 3-year periods.

Study in Spain

Non-EU students need a Study Visa for Spain to take an educational course. To be able to apply, it is necessary to find a course and be accepted first. The visas are normally valid for the duration of the course and allow students to work for up to 20 hours a week during that time.

Visa to Work in Spain

To work in Spain you need a Spanish Work Visa (unless you are from an EU country). Schengen Visas are designed for tourism and only allow a maximum stay of 90 days in the zone.

There are different types of Work Visas for Spain which are designed for various purposes. Some of the most typical are Long-Term Work Visas, Seasonal Work Visas, Au Pair Visas, and the EU Blue Card.

Residence Visa to live in Spain

Residence Visas are for people who want to live in Spain but not work, they are typical for retirees. To qualify, applicants need to show they have the financial means to support themselves and any dependents.

Residence Visa applications need to be submitted at a Spanish embassy or consulate along with a range of paperwork including bank statements, a health check, and a police check. Once someone has lived in Spain for 5 years, they can apply for long-term Spanish residency.

Airport Transit Visa

A Transit Visa for Spain is not necessary for most nationalities as long as the traveler has at least 6 months left on their passport and proof of onward travel. A Schengen Transit Visa is only a requirement for the following nationalities:

  • Afghanistan
  • Bangladesh
  • Cameroon
  • Côte D’Ivoire, Cuba
  • D.R. Congo
  • Djibouti
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea Bissau
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Jordan
  • Liberia
  • Mali
  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Sierra Leona
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Syria
  • Togo

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here, to know more. I agree